Friday, March 21, 2008

New EMU Email System

Some of you may have read that there is a committee currently working on identifying a new email/calendaring/collaboration tool to replace the ones included in my.emich. I've had the opportunity to participate in many of the meetings as an "unofficial" member.

The committee recently narrowed the choices down to two: Google Apps for Education (gmail) and Zimbra. Many of you are probably already familiar with Google Apps (gmail, calendar, Google Talk, etc.) but I suspect most of you have never heard of the Zimbra collaboration suite.

The committee plans to meet early next week to make a final recommendation. For anyone who has a few moments to spare this weekend, I would really be interested in your feedback on the Zimbra tool. It's easy to set up a demo account at:

http://www.zimbra.com/products/hosted_demo.php

The demo accounts come pre-populated with some email and calendar information to make it easier to get a feel for using the suite of applications. If you get a chance to check it out, please send me an email and let me know what you think. My demo account email address is:

221wa6bx@demo2.zimbra.com

The product also has some add-on tools to allow people to use Outlook (Windows) or the Mac OS suite of tools like Mac Mail, iCal, and Address Book. The Outlook add-on makes it work just like it was in a Microsoft Exchange environment.

Certainly I would also be interested in anyone's feedback on the Google Apps for Education suite, too (http://www.google.com/a/edu).

Thanks! All feedback will be welcome and I'll be sure to share it with the committee during their deliberations early next week.

3 comments:

Michael McVey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael McVey said...

There appear to be plenty of excellent things this can do, but my pop ups keep freezing. I tried creating an appointment in the calendar but the date information, once it popped up, refused to revert. Very frustrating. I was using the AJAX experience. I've not had those pop up issues before.

I wrote you in-system that I had the same experience just right clicking on mail messages. Here's the issue, when you right click and a dialogue opens up, if you need to click a different message or place on the screen, the dialogue box remains up and active until you click some irrelevant thing like "Mark as Read" before it goes away. Even then, it doesn't go away sometimes.

This frustrates me because I like the look of the interface and think the calendaring option and the feeds option has a lot of potential.

Ron Woody said...

Thanks, Michael. I'm going to try to recreate these problems myself.

Which browser(s) were you using?